1. Add a stopper bead to your thread by stringing on one bead and passing through it a second time. This will keep your beads from sliding away from you while you work.
2. String on a row of beads.
3. Add one bead to your thread and pass through the first bead of row one.
4. Pass back through the first bead of row two.
5. Pick up one bead and pass through the second bead of row one. Go back through the second bead of row two.
6. Continue adding beads to row two by following step five. You may now remove the stopper bead since you no longer need it to hold your work together.
Optional: If your first two rows seem loose, pass down through row one and back up through row two making one large loop to strengthen the beadwork.
7. Add a bead to your thread and pass down through the bead directly below in row two.
8. Continue adding beads in this pattern until you reach the desired length.
Thread diagram for square stitch.
Free projects using square stitch: